Thanksgiving
So we decided today that we are going to attempt to cook thanksgiving dinner. There will be four of us, and approximately 5 university degrees and three partially completed master's degress between us, so I think we'll be alright. If not there should be food at Eric's parent's house!!!!! Sean and his girlfriend Iva are coming over from Bowling Green on Wednesday. I'm excited for the company!!!! I'm also excited to have five days off, well, okay, FOUR days off next week!!! Hooray!!Anyhow, so today Eric and I went shopping today, trying to anticipate what we will need to cook dinner on Thanksgiving. We had to buy a roaster, and we also bought some pot holders and placemats. Eric's still trying to convince me that we need a table.....we have nowhere to put a table. So Sean, if you're reading this, please note that we don't actually have a dining room table.....but we do have a coffee table, but we'd have to sit on the ground:) We'll make something work, don't worry! Let's see, we also bought a vegetable peeler and of course, GROCERIES!!! Hooray for food:) And a meat thermometer. Our Turkey is 10 LBS. Hopefully it's not TOO big, and hopefully it's big enough! Other things on the menu are mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, asparagus, whole wheat cheese biscuits and some dessert that we will probably buy. Probably a pie from Baker's square.
So that was today. It's still early and we're trying to figure out what we should do with the rest of the day. I'm watching Mythbusters....Eric is playing video games. Pretty typical.
Yesterday we figured out how our rice cooker works. We have a Krups Rice Cook/Steamer/Slow Cooker, and have no idea how to work it as I can't find the instruction manuals at the moment.....but I decided to make rice in is yesterday, and we did it the right way. Pretty easy. You just have to put in the rice and water and then press a button. I'm glad it was that easy!!!!
Yesterday I also decided to get some of those Breathe Right nose strips. They are springy and make your nose open. They work. You see, ever since my sister found out she had a deviated septum and had surgery for it, I've been convinced that I've got one too. I have a hard time breathing through the left side of my nose. I thought it might help me sleep/breath easier if I wore the nose thingy's! So I wore one last night and it opened my nose up and I could breath easier. Cool. They make my nose look funny though. All fat and stuff!
Let's see, let's see....what else...Did I mention how I only have to work two days (plus Saturday) this week??? I'm excited! I need some days off, man! Those babies are driving me nutso!!!
Oh yes, and yesterday I had Krispy Cream donuts. This customer who has been coming in every Saturday for the past two months to look at used alto sax's to send to Poland for his neice or something, bought the instrument yesterday, and to thank us he brought us donuts. Two dozen donuts. So, I ate two yesterday. I was actually quite impressed. I've never been overly impressed with Krispy Creams, but yesterday I had a lemon filled one and one that was filled with like a really light buttercream icing, and they were YUMMY!!!! I've always just had the regular glazed ones before. I had one of that kind today, since I brought three donuts home for us. I also had half of a chocolate topped one today too. Maybe I should have went to the gym today also....hahahahahahaha:) Oh well. They were good donuts! I have rethought my opinion of Krispy Cream donuts. There. And now my story is all done. I think.


12 Comments:
Approximately 5 degrees? And sitting on the floor at a coffee table is how we eat here at both of our places.
Hahahaha. Yes, 5 degrees. Between the four of us? I'm assuming Iva has a Bachelor's here. I have two, you have one and Eric has one. Five:) Plus you have a cool certificate thingy. That's gotta count for something!
We DO have an "island" that isn't so much an island as a counter that we eat at regularly, but we only have two barstools! We'll figure it all out.....
I am very excited for you attempting to cook a Thanksgiving turkey!!!! Remember that just last Christmas was Jilly 'B's 1st one and Jen has yet to attempt one and she's been married 11 1/2 years!!!! The biggest thing to remember is that it takes 20 minutes per pound at 325 degrees. Do't forget to take a picture of your first turkey to share with us all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also if you have a rack to set it on helps too!
Weather here has warmed up a bit and some of the snow has melted and thankfully the roads are clear. It was rough going for a couple of days and I am soooo terrified of falling on the slush and ice that I think I do more harm than good walking around parking lots etc.
Love ya Bunches and bunches :) :)
HMMMMMMM... did they teach you how to cook at university? Mom doesn't have any degrees and she can cook yummy!!!!!!
I think I may attempt my first at Christmas... I'm just smarter than the rest of you not to cook!!!!
No, no, your first will be in a few days. We're all in this together. :D
Silly Sean, that was my sister talking, not me. My sister JEN might try her first turkey at Christmas. Yes, MY first will be in a few days, and I got pie certificates so I'll be ordering pies very shortly online from Bakers Square. They should be really yummy! Hopefully you were truthful in that you don't care what kind I get!!!!
I'm jealous! ^_^ Turkey dinner with friends would beat the hell out of student teaching.
My advice is tie up your turkey too.... it is much easier to get out of the roaster (it took 2 boys to do it at Christmas and it fell apart.... this Thanksgiving I took it out with one hand!)
Jen.... I'm going to miss your first turkey?
All these J-names confuse me. As long as you don't get some sort of disgusting, processed-meat leftover pie, I'm happy.
Can you believe that cooking your first turkey could get sooooooo many comments, Baby Girl??????
Aw Sean, it's a shame that you didn't comment before we ordered the year old bologna and head cheese pie. What ever will we do now?
Remember, I'M not exactly cooking the turkey. It will be a combined effort of all four of us:) Should be interesting......
Post a Comment
<< Home